Saturday, July 24, 2010

Airflow Physics

Time and time again I am amazed at the lack of perception of airflow dynamics with this company.

Larger contracting companies usually seem to understand 'positive pressure' dynamics and are able to design systems to accommodate sensitive work environments (i.e. ones that require as little dust as possible leaving the work-space), but the sub-contractor I work for, as well as my co-workers, are completely lost on anything resembling the use of airflow to make for a safer work environment. If a fan, or fans, exists, I can just about guarantee that their primary use will be aimed directly at individual workers. The futility of this mindset was never more apparent than two days ago where I was up on a large Baker scaffolding in a cottage room - I was able to watch the thick airborne dust just go in circles around the room instead of being made to go anywhere other than my immediate work area.

Did the airflow feel good? Sure, it felt better then no airflow, but I was dustier, and crustier, because of it. I can't say it did my lungs any favors, either, despite having on a cheap paper mask that does seem to block about 99% of the particulate.

Would I have rather had a fan at one end of the cottage blowing cleaner air in, and one fan at the opposite end of the cottage blowing dirtier air out? Yeah, I would, but I've learned the hard way that adjusting fans in this manner earns the ire of my co-workers, thus I just continue to live with "it is what it is" and get on with the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment